General Warehouse Worker – Job Description
Basket Brigade Canada is a charitable organization committed to improving the quality of life for people, by providing food and other necessities of life. This year marks Basket Brigade Canada’s 30th Anniversary of delivering healthy and nutritious food to individuals and families in need. Punjabi Community Health Services (PCHS) has served the residents of the Region of Peel for the past 30+ years. PCHS aims to improve the well-being of individuals, families and communities using an anti-racism and anti-oppression framework. This is achieved by providing vulnerable populations settlement, health and social services. Basket Brigade and PCHS are member organizations of the Peel Community Collaborative (PCC) Brampton Food Hub.
The Peel Community Collaborative (PCC) Brampton Food Hub is a collective of seven non-profit and charitable organizations and one individual who were brought together under a Region of Peel grant to address food insecurity in Brampton. PCC believes that the fight against hunger and food insecurity is a collective community endeavour with space for all of us to contribute in various ways. The PCC is grounded in a mission and set of values that provide a foundation for our community work. At PCC, we look for committed and talented individuals who are passionate about making a change in our community and who will strive to embody our values.
About The Opportunity
The General Warehouse Worker is a skilled individual and team player who participates in the food hub operations and warehouse activities. The individual must have at least one year of experience as a warehouse worker and familiarity with modern warehousing practices and methods using the utmost care to ensure efficiency and safety in the facility. In order to further ensure safety for all employees and visitors, excellent proficiency in speaking and written skills are required.
This part-time position is based in Brampton. The candidate will report directly to The Warehouse Operations Manager.
The salary for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. The contract is for a duration of two years, with the possibility of an extension.
IN THIS ROLE YOU WILL:
· Organize donations of food and product items for pickup and delivery.
· Ensure items are packed and labeled.
· Receive and process warehouse stock items.
· Maintain the food hub inventory and regularly update it.
· Ensure the food hub inventory is controlled and maintained at the highest quality (e.g. best before and expiry dates) to health regulations, and for health inspections and audits.
· Collaborate with co-workers, volunteers, and supervisors for a smooth workflow.
· Inspect the warehouse regularly and report any problems identified to the supervisors.
· Maintain and operate authorized warehouse machinery and equipment to carry out work responsibilities.
· Adhere to all safety procedures and regulations.
· Clean the warehouse and maintain it to high hygienic standards.
· Work with pest control and other contractors as required.
· Work according to the food hub policies and procedures.
· Ensure safety boots or galoshes are worn by all on the warehouse floor.
REQUIREMENTS AND SKILLS:
· Must be 18 years or older.
· A minimum of a high school diploma.
· A recent WSIB certificate, and training in first aid.
· Must have knowledge of and experience with basic computer systems and inventory software.
· Excellent physical condition and hand-eye coordination.
· Ability to safely lift heavy objects.
· Ability to operate heavy-duty warehouse machinery.
· Use best warehouse practices and procedures.
· Excellent organizational, time management, and multitasking skills.
· Data entry and data processing skills.
· Proficiency with excellent verbal and writing skills.
· Previous experience working with a social agency is a plus, as is experience with food handling and safety.
We believe that diversity of strengths, experiences, and backgrounds strengthens the Food Hub. If this position interests you, we encourage you to apply and tell us why you are a great candidate for the role. We do not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. We are equal opportunity employers, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. We thank all applicants for their interest. Because of the number of applications, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please include both email addresses listed below when applying: